Monday, April 14, 2014

"The LORD is Good!" - Easy for Me to Say?

-->


Week 15, Day 1 of the Grand Story…
"Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! ... those who seek the LORD lack no good thing... The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and His ears toward their cry... The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit... The LORD redeems the life of His servants; none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned." (from Psalm 34)

I love the Foo Fighters. Great band and I enjoy a lot of their music. "Learn to Fly" is one of my all-time favorites. But I have to admit they have one song in particular that really bugs me...

One of these days the ground will drop out from beneath your feet
One of these days your heart will stop and play its final beat
One of these days the clocks will stop and time won't mean a thing
One of these days their bombs will drop and silence everything

But it's alright
Yeah it's alright
I said it's alright

Easy for you to say
Your heart has never been broken
Your pride has never been stolen
Not yet not yet
(These Days by the Foo Fighters)
What a load of crap. What an arrogant load of absolute crap! David had his heart broken. Multiple times. He had his pride stolen by his own son, among many others. He experienced some of the worst life has to offer, not a little of which was by his own hand. But he could still say to his last breath, "Taste and see that the LORD is good." Life is good. It will be alright. There is a faithful God who will keep His promises. All of them. Every time. If we miss them it's because we listened to junk like this and lost all hope. It is possible to be "brokenhearted" and "crushed in spirit" and still say "I lack no good thing" because I trust God.

That doesn't make it “easy for me to say.” Just because I hold fast to my faith in the face of the worst life has to offer doesn’t mean I am naïve or inexperienced. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. It’s because I have experienced first hand the faithfulness of God in the middle of the storm. Ask Job. God doesn’t always spare us from the hard stuff, but He never leaves us to fend for ourselves. He always comes through. Always.  

Always.

So whenever that Foo Fighters song comes on, I change it to something more suitable…
When the ground beneath my feet gives way 
and I hear the sound of crashing waves 
all my world is washing out to sea. 
I’m hidden safe in the God who never moves 
holding fast to the promise of the truth 
that You are holding tighter still to me.

The Rock wont move and His Word is strong 
The Rock won’t move and His love can’t be undone 
The Rock of our Salvation!
(The Rock Won’t Move by Vertical Church Band)

"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:13-14, NASB)


No comments: