Friday, February 25, 2011

Tis the Season... to pick my American Idol Finalists! Part 1, The Guys

OK, OK, I know you've all been waiting on the edge of your seat for this so here goes... My annual predictions for this year's American Idol Finalists. Last year I did pretty good (8 out of 12), but this year may be a little tougher. Even though there were some crazy good talented kids on the show, they eliminated most of them before they picked the 24 that America starts voting on next Tuesday. (In my opinion, they should have ditched Jovany and Stephano and let Jaycee and that other mohawk kid through.) However, there are a few that stand out so without further ado....

First, the guys:

1. Casey Abrams - This guy could be the single most talented contestant EVER on American Idol. If he made a CD today of just him singing and playing upright bass, I would buy it. I would buy multiple copies and give it to everyone I loved. He is amazing. Sure, he looks like a band nerd and acts like a middle-school class clown. But he sings and plays multiple instruments like a seasoned pro. I look for this guy to be a strong contender, but not a winner. He will suffer the Daughtry effect and be voted off far too early but will go on to have a career that will eclipse whatever cookie-cutter schmuck actually wins this year. You heard it here first, people.

2. Brett Loewenstern - This fuzzy hand-holding poster child for victims of school bullying has a sweet, cool, understated voice and really good sensibilities. Brett is one of the only surviving unique voices that usually tend to get weeded out in the early stages of the competition. I think I will get tired of his girly-man act before its all over but I look forward to may weeks of his quasi-jazz vocal stylings.

3. Robbie Rosen - Am I the only one who thinks this kid looks just like Aladdin in the Disney animated movie? No kiddin' it's like someone pulled Aladdin right out of the animated world into ours and made him try out for Idol. He and Julie Zorilla should dress like Aladdin and Jasmine and sing "A Whole New World" this year. Maybe they'll do Disney week... Anyways, this kid is not my musical favorite but he has the looks and the likeability to take him much farther than his actual talent deserves. I predict that after several weeks of bland, boring pop he will make it into the Top 5 before being eliminated... finally.

4. Paul McDonald - Someone must have invented a time machine and went back to 1979 and kidnapped Rupert Holmes right out of the studio after he recorded "The Pina Colada Song." Seriously, this guy looks and sounds like a clone of Kenny Loggins circa the late seventies. My family likes his voice but I think he's boring. Who will be right? Maybe if I'm wrong I can borrow his time machine and go back and change this blog.

5. Clint Gum Jamboa - It still chaps my hide that this weasel made it through but they cut my li'l buddy Jaycee! But there is no denying this guy can sing. He is actually one of the better singers in the whole competition. Unlike Jakob Lusk, he has some control and good instincts about jus where to do the runs and power notes, and where to hold off. It's called dynamics, Jakob. Watch and learn.

6. Jakob Lusk - I don't see what everyone sees in this guy but I fear America will vote him through. In his heart of hearts, Jakob wants to be Mahalia Jackson. But Randy Jackson and all the other contestants have so filled this guy's ego with "How Great Thou Art, Jakob" that there will be no stopping his annoying over-the-top gospel stylings. I predict he will stay way too long and become very, very tiresome in a very short time.

"But, Jerry," you say, "what about cowboy Scotty McCreery, dark horse Tim Halperin, and that rocker guy with Turrets?" Please keep in mind that this is what I think will happen, not what I necessarily want to happen. But I think while Scotty the Kid is definitely great at what he does, what he does will not be enough to make it to the Final 12. Tim is great and I hope he does make it, but I am seriously doubting it. Too forgettable. And James Durbin has a great backstory but be honest, aren't you already sick of his high-pitched caterwauling every single stinkin' song?! I know I am.

OK that's all I have time for right now. Later, the Top 12 girls. Stay tuned...

No comments: